1. Which bird seems most adapted to ocean living?
2. What is the largest animal in the ocean today?
3. Which of the sea mammals can be thought of as "using tools"?
4. What animal is thought to have inspired stories about mermaids?
5. What is the process called when coral suddenly turns white and loses its color?
6. What term is used for organisms living on or in the sea bottom floor?
7. What is the area called where the river meets the sea?
8. What process makes water become more saline when it is found in a basin which has been filled by the tide and the tide has ebbed?
9. Which class of mammals made the greatest change in becoming terrestrial (land living)?
10. What are areas called where water covers the soil either all year or at different times of the year?
ANSWERS TO THE LAST QUIZ
1. At which level of organization in the taxonomic chart is the organisms classification always written with an upper case letter?
2. Which scientist developed the hypthesis of "the inheritance of acquired characteristics?
3. To what phylum to the vertebrates belong?
Ans. Chordates (or chordata)
4. What term is given to organisms that have a nucleus with a membrane.?
5. All life on Earth can be divided into two major groups. To which of these to the bacteria belong?
6. What term is used to indicate something like nitrogen has been made into an organic molecule?
7. To what phylum do the simplest animals belong?
Ans. sponges or porifera
8. What term is used to indicate that there are a large number of nutrients in the water that may produce an algal bloom?
9. Of what is a shark's skeleton made?
10. What term is used more recently as a way of classifying animals?