1. What oceanic feature occurs when two currents pass next to eash other causing friction?
2. What scale is used to measure hurricanes?
3. What does the Fujita scale measure?
4. What caused the worst natural disaster in U.S. history?
5. In what hemisphere do hurricane winds rotate clockwise?
6. What force causes winds and currents to veer off from a path which is straight?
7. What term is used for tornados which appear over the ocean?
8. What term is used for cells in which warm air rises from the equator and moves north to about 30 degrees where it sinks?
9. What state is nearest the largest whirlpool in the Americas?
10. What are the winds called that blow in the northern hemisphere just above the equator?
ANSWERS TO THE LAST QUIZ1. Where was the disaster that started the science of seismology?
2. What is a wave called which is at least twice as high as the significant wave height?
3. What additional problem is associated with the Tohoku (Fukushima Japan) earthquake and tsunami, other than the usual damage and loss of life? ANSWER: radiation
4. What term is used for water from the ocean pushing it's way up a river when the tide is coming in?
ANSWER: tidal wave or tidal bore
5. What term is used for the highest of the high tides?
ANSWER: Spring tides
6. What causes most waves to form?
7. Which scale is used to measure wind speed?
8. What kind of angle do the Sun Earth and Moon make during the lowest tides?
ANSWER: a right angle or a 90 degree angle
9. What kind of wave is causded if a large meteor hits the ocean?
10. What volcano was responsible fo the loudest sound ever recorded?