1. What term is used for an area where there is a sudden change in some characteristic?
2. What organism is most responsible for "fixing" nitrogen?
3. Which of the five qualities we measured for change in depths of the ocean has the most irregular graph?
4. What causes nutrients to be brought to a level in the ocean where photosynthesis takes place?
5. During El Nino Conditions, on which side of the Pacific is the low pressure area?
6. What term is used for the equivalent of ENSO in the Indian Ocean?
7. What part of the Darwinian theory of evolution was changed to create "Neo-Darwinism"?
8. What term is used for cells which lack a nucleus and nuclear membrane?
9. Which level of organization is written with an upper case (capital) letter?
10. Currently how many "kingdoms" are defined?
ANSWERS TO THE LAST QUIZ1. 1. What oceanic feature occurs when two currents pass next to eash other causing friction?
2. What scale is used to measure hurricanes?
3. What does the Fujita scale measure?
4. What caused the worst natural disaster in U.S. history?
ANSWER: hurricane or storm surge
5. In what hemisphere do hurricane winds rotate clockwise?
ANSWER: Southern hemisphere
6. What force causes winds and currents to veer off from a path which is straight?
7. What term is used for tornados which appear over the ocean?
8. What term is used for cells in which warm air rises from the equator and moves north to about 30 degrees where it sinks?
ANSWER: Hadley cell
9. What state is nearest the largest whirlpool in the Americas?
10. What are the winds called that blow in the northern hemisphere just above the equator?
ANSWER: Northeast trade winds