Notes and Reading - Lecture #5
Lecture #5 was a seminar on robotics
There are no notes for this lecture.
The reading for this lecture is:
Brooks, R. A. "A Robust Layered Control System for a Mobile Robot", IEEE Journal of Robotics and Automation, Vol. 2, No. 1, March 1986, pp. 14?23; also MIT AI Memo 864, September 1985.
To assist in the discussion, consider the following "talking points":
- What is the main idea put forward in the paper?
- How does this advance the start of the art (at the time of writing)?
- Which of the "nine dogmatic principles" are addressed in the paper?
- Is the control model reactive or deliberative?
- How much of the work described in the paper has been implemented? Is this enough to allow us to evaluate the approach?
- Is the control model a "clean" implementation of the subsumption architecture?
- Is the evaluation section of the paper convincing?