Notes and Reading - Lecture #11
Lecture #11 was a seminar on Reactive and Hybrid Agents.
There are no notes for this lecture
The reading assignment for this seminar is:
Brooks, R. A. "A Robust Layered Control System for a Mobile Robot", IEEE Journal of Robotics and Automation, Vol. 2, No. 1, March 1986, pp. 14?23; also MIT AI Memo 864, September 1985.
The questions you have to answer before class are:
Short answers (a couple of sentences) only are required, but I must
have them midnight the night before class.
- What is the main idea put forward in the paper, and what is your opinion of it?
- How does this advance the start of the art (at the time of writing)?
- Which of the "nine dogmatic principles" are addressed in the paper?
- How would you describe the control model (ie reactive or deliberative, or what?)
- How much of the work described in the paper has been implemented? Is this enough to allow us to evaluate the approach?
- Is the control model a "clean" implementation of the subsumption architecture?
- Is the evaluation section of the paper convincing?
Note that this seminar will be held in conjunction with the practical
reasoning seminar that was scheduled for Lecture 9.
YOu should therefore answer the questions for that seminar as well.