CISC 7124 Object-Oriented Programming
Basic Information and Requirements
- Instructor: Prof. Neng-Fa Zhou
- Class hours: 06:05-08:10PM Wednesday (232 IA)
- Office hours: 5:30-6:30 Monday (room Ingersoll 1161)
- Reference Books and Web Sites:
Principles and implementation issues in object-oriented programming languages, including memory and run-time models; encapsulation, inheritance and polymorphism; collections and other frameworks and hierarchies; effects of binding time considerations on language design and implementation; formal design specifications such as UML; implementation of advanced algorithms, such as divide-and-conquer, dynamic programming, backtracking, and graph search algorithms; the Java Virtual Machine; case studies chosen from C++ and Java.
Prerequisite: CISC 3120 and 3130.
There will be one homework assignment every week. Unless notified otherwise, the homework is due in one week after it is assigned. Please email your homework to nzhou (AT) brooklyn (DOT) cuny (DOT) edu. Please write your name, student ID, and the number of the assignment in the subject, and include your writings and codes in the body of the email. Sample answers to the programming questions will be given and selected questions will be reviewed in class. There will be a one-point deduction for each missing homework or late submitted homework. The total deduction will not exceed 10 points.
Exams and Grading
There will one midterm exam and one accumulative final exam, all closed-book. The midterm accounts for 30%, the final accounts for 50%, and the remaining 20% of the grade will be based on projects.
- An introduction to OOP
- A bird's-eye view of Java
- Inheritance in Java
- Review of Generic Collection Classes in Java (MyList.java)
- EPI (Linked Lists, Stacks and Queues, Binary Trees, Heaps)
- Midterm ( Sample )
- Recursive Algorithms (Divide and Conquer, Combinatorics, Dynamic Programming, Backtracking)
- Graphs (Graph Traversal Algorithms, Graph Minimization Algorithms, Backtracking)
- Miscellaneous Topics (UML, Concurrent Programming, GUI, JVM)
- Java Virtual Machine
- Final exam( Sample )